Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gearing up for Christmas


So it's that time....
Having decided that everyone on my Christmas list is getting handmade gifts this year I have been crafting my little fingers off. I have completed a shawl for a friend using this pattern Stella Shawl, As Seen on Knitting Daily TV Episode 201 - Knitting Daily. Of course I used up some yarn I had stashed in my closet, it's a lovely blue with a bit of shine to it. It's a great pattern, easy to follow and not mentally taxing once you realized what the repeats are. I know (name withheld to protect the holiday surprise) will love it.

Now I'm working on a pair of hats in this pattern http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/tympany/tympany.html again using some sock yarn I had left from my numerous failed attempts at knitting socks for myself. They are for a brother and sister team who can totally work the color combos I've picked out for them.

I'm also working on a couple of scarves using a great pattern from Lionbrand for some of the guys that I know. I am using up some yarn from my stash.

Now I'm getting ready to start making ornaments. A few years ago there was a show on PBS called The Creative Life with Cheryl Falls. I enjoyed the show and now it's gone. At any rate she made some very cool felt ornaments one year and my girls and I have been making them ever since.

I've also made several stencils in order to make a couple of t-shirts (also for gifts). decided to try my hand at cutting my own stencils when someone had a couple of boxes of the type of tranperency films that are used for overhead projectors. Cutting them is very labor intensive! I hope they work well. (fingers are crossed).

In addition I have been working on making my closet less of a wasteland. But the catch is I have taken a pledge not to buy anything new for FOUR MONTHS. So I have been altering stuff I already have. And all was going well until , horror of horrors, I washed a pair of jeans with my lip balm in the pocket. So (since I didn't notice until it was too late) they went into the dryer and voila instant grease stains on 3 shirts, one camisole and my favorite sweat jacket. Now I am on the verge of a shopping spree. I hope I can hold out......cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment